Monday, May 28, 2012

I made a beautiful pie

Strawberry Rhubarb - probably the most beautiful pie I've ever made. Not to brag but, well isn't that kind of what blogs are for? Thanks Mom, for making me a baker.





I got the recipe from my favorite food blog:


Except, I used my mom's crust recipe which never fails. You too, can make a pie crust!
1 1/2 C Flour
1/2 C shortening - I use organic vegetable shortening
1/3 C ice cold water
1 t salt
(double the recipe if making a top)



That's it! You need a pastry cutter, cloth and covered rolling pin. Cut together the flour, salt and shortening, then add the water a little at a time until it holds together when pinched (sometimes you need more, sometimes less). You want to touch it as little as possible, so once you think it's ready transfer to a lightly floured pastry cloth and roll out from the center with your rolling pin.


Flip your pie dish over on top of what you've rolled out and make sure you have about 2" overlap all the way around. If you have excess on one side, you can cut it off and patch the spots that need it by "gluing" it on with a little water.


Transfer to your pie dish, cut around the edge so you only have about 1/2"-3/4" of overhang, then pinch around the outside for a decorative edge.

You can do it!

1 comment: